A Matter of Balance is an award-winning program designed to manage falls and increase activity levels.
You will learn to:
- Set goals for increasing activity
- Reduce fall risks at home
- Exercise to increase strength and balance
- Safely get up if you fall
Who should attend?
- Anyone interested in improving balance, flexibility, and strength.
- Anyone who has fallen in the past.
- Anyone who has restricted activities because of falling concerns.
For questions, please call Erin Nielsen at 605-256-8915.
Upcoming Class Dates:
This 8-Week FREE class begins October 2, 2023.
The class will be each Monday from 9:00 am – 11:00 am at the Interlakes Senior Citizen Center in Madison, SD, located at 822 SW 10th St. Madison, SD.
To register, please complete the form below or call 605-256-8915.
Most people are aware that the risk of falling increases with age. However, did you know?
- 1 in 4 people 65 and older fall each year
- More than 95% of hip fractures are caused by older adult falls
- Every 20 minutes in the U.S. an older adult dies as a result of a fall
- This does not need to be YOU or your loved one!
Falls Are Preventable!
Join us to discover if you are at risk for a fall and how to keep on Standing Strong.
Upcoming Balance Screenings:
To register for the screening, please call Erin Nielsen at 605-256-8915 or complete the form below.
Seeking Volunteer Coaches
Chances are you know someone who has fallen or who is afraid of falling. A Matter of Balance is a proven program designed to help people manage concerns about falls and increase physical activity.
Upcoming Training Dates:
Wednesday, June 21, 2023 & Thursday, June 22, 2023
9:00 am – 2:30 pm (must attend both days)
Our Savior’s Lutheran Church – 909 W. 33rd St. Sioux Falls, SD (in the Friendship Room)
Contact Erin Nielsen at 605-256-8915
Call Email or Call Karla Cazer:
What do you need to be a coach?
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Enthusiasm, dependability, and a willingness to lead small groups of older adults (8-12 people)
- Ability to lead low to moderate level exercise
- Lead 2 classes within the year
- Coaches will lead in pairs
If you are interested in becoming a coach, please complete the form below or contact Erin Nielsen at 605-256-8915.
A Matter of Balance: Managing Concerns About Falls Volunteer Lay Leader Model ©2006. This program is based on Fear of Falling: A Matter of Balance. Copyright ©1995 Trustees of Boston University. All rights reserved. Used and adapted by permission of Boston University.
This project was supported, in part by grant number 90FPSG0043-01-00, from the Administration for Community Living, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Washington, D.C. 20201. Grantees undertaking projects with government sponsorship are encouraged to express freely their findings and conclusions. Points of view or opinions do not, therefore, necessarily represent official ACL policy.